Historic Tours of New Harmony
The Atheneum/Visitors Center will remain open year round! Tickets may be purchased at the Atheneum/Visitors Center, located at the corner of North and Arthur Streets in New Harmony.
Tours are daily at 1 p.m. from the Atheneum. In November and December tours will only be offered at 1p.m. on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays and we are closed Jan. 1 – March 14. Daily tours will reopen for the season on March 15.
The tour focuses on the Harmonist period of the town’s development and includes the David Lenz House, the West Street Log Cabins, Community House No. 2, the Salomon Wolf House, and the Victorian Doctor’s Office.
Additional tour destinations include the Fauntleroy House, the Maxmilian-Bodmer Exhibit, the 1830 Owen House, the Keppler House and Thrall’s Opera House, which reflect on the Owen Community and the Victorian era in New Harmony’s history.
Group tours are available by appointment. Contact the Atheneum/Visitors Center at 1(800)-231-2168 or 1(812)-682-4474 for more information.
About the Atheneum
The Atheneum (Visitors Center) was designed by internationally-known architect Richard Meier in the 1970s.
The name “Atheneum” is derived from the Greek Athenaion, a temple in Athens dedicated to Athena, goddess of wisdom and the arts.
It serves as a welcome center to visitors of New Harmony seeking intellectual stimulation and spiritual renewal, and houses historical exhibits, a gift shop and an observation deck.